President Edgar Lungu’s inauguration ceremony, 25 January 2015
|6th President of Zambia|
|Assumed office |
25 January 2015
|Vice President||Inonge Wina|
|Preceded by||Guy Scott (Acting President)|
|Born||11 November 1956|
Ndola, Northern Rhodesia
|Political party||Patriotic Front|
President-elect Lungu 58, who was clad in a blue suit, white shirt and red tie was accompanied by his wife Esther amid tight security, arrived at the stadium around 10:20 hours to a thunderous welcome.
Acting Chief Justice Lombe Chibesakunda swore-in Mr. Lungu around 10:30 hours as the country’s sixth head of state.
Traditional and cultural dances, acrobatics and choral performances at the 50,000 seater stadium, which was filled to capacity, also gave colour to the ceremony.
A 21-gun presidential salute, a fly-past conducted by the Zambia Air Force and songs by a combined defence choir entertained the crowd.
In his speech, Mr. Lungu promised to deliver a people driven constitution to stand a test of time in his administration.
Mr. Lungu, who was Justice and Defence Minister until his election on 24 January 2015, defeated opposition United Party for National Development (UPND) leader Hakainde Hichilema by a 48.3 percent to 46.7 percent margin.
President Lungu’s biggest challenge is to turn around Zambia’s economy that’s slowing because of a slump in the price of copper, which accounts for more than two-thirds of the country's export earnings.
President Lungu must also solve a standoff with the mining industry over a tax system introduced in June that may lead to 12,000 job losses in 2015 alone, according to an industry lobby group.
The swearing in ceremony was witnessed by former acting president Guy Scott and his wife Charlotte, SADC Chairperson and Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, visiting senior government officials, National Assembly of Zambia Speaker Patrick Matibini, Cabinet ministers, diplomats accredited to Zambia, Defence Chiefs, First Republican president Kenneth Kaunda and former President Rupiah Banda.
Others were opposition MMD leader Nevers Mumba and his Agenda for a Better Zambia counterpart Frank Bwalya, UPND campaign Manager Dipak Patel, 4th Revolution party president Erick Chanda, Patriotic Front members, senior government officials and members of the public.
- President Edgar Lungu’s inauguration Speech, 25 January 2015
- Zambian presidential election, 2015
- Michael Sata
- Patriotic Front
- Guy Scott
- Hakainde Hichilema
- Second Presidential Inauguration of Edgar Lungu
- Edgar Lungu inaugurated at a colourful ceremony LusakaTimes, 25 January 2015
- Laing, Aislinn (20 January 2015). "Edgar Lungu, tipped as Zambia's next president, denies alcoholism claim". Telegraph. Retrieved 20 January 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Anthony, Mukwita (2014). "Meet Edgar C. Lungu: The Profile" (PDF). edgar-lungu.com. Retrieved 26 January 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>