National Arts Council of Zambia
The National Arts Council of Zambia (NAC) is a Zambian organization which facilitates the development, promotion and nurturing of all art forms countrywide. It is a statutory body established under Act No. 31 of 1994 of the Laws of Zambia to coordinate all artistic activities in the country.
Among other activities, it sponsors Zambia's annual Ngoma Awards. The council has also encouraged funding for Zambian artists and artistic endeavors. They also claim to have helped spur the formation of new art associations through their registration procedure.
The overall objective of the National Arts Council of Zambia is to advise government on policy towards visual, performing, media and literary arts in the country. Secondary to this is the aim to encourage artistic excellence on both amateur and professional levels in the country.
To this end, it is the Mission of the Council to facilitate the development, promotion and nurturing of all forms of amateur and professional arts to a level of excellence countrywide and to promote the Arts into an integral part of the lives of people in Zambia
The chairperson for the council is Mulenga Kapwepwe.
The National Arts Council comprises nine arts associations representing performing, literary media and fine arts.
- National Theatre Arts Association of Zambia—NATAAZ
- National Media Arts Association—NAMA
- Zambia Folk Dance and Music Society—ZAFODAMUS
- Zambia Women Writers Association—ZAWWA
- Zambia Popular Theatre Alliance—ZAPOTA
- Zambia Association of Musicians—ZAM
- Zambia Adjudicators’ Panel—ZAP
- Zambia National Visual Arts Council—VAC
- Association of Theatre for Children and Young People in Zambia—ASSITEJ