Human rights in Zambia
Human rights in Zambia are addressed in the constitution. However, the Country Report on Human Rights Practices in Zambia for 2012 by the United States Department of State noted that in general, the government's human rights record remained poor.
The Country Report on Human Rights Practices in Zambia for 2012 noted the following serious human rights abuses:
- abuses by security forces, including unlawful killings, torture, and beatings;
- life-threatening prison conditions;
- restrictions on freedom of speech, assembly, and association;
- arbitrary arrest and prolonged pretrial detention;
- arbitrary interference with privacy;
- government corruption;
- violence and discrimination against women, child abuse, and trafficking in persons;
- discrimination against persons with disabilities and based on sexual orientation;
- restrictions on labor rights, forced labor, and child labor; and
- that the government generally did not take steps to prosecute or punish officials who committed abuses, allowing impunity to remain a problem.
Freedom in the World ratings
The following are Zambia's ratings since 1972 in the Freedom in the World reports, published annually by Freedom House (1 is best, 7 is worst).
|Year||Political Rights||Civil Liberties||Status||PresidentTemplate:Ref|
|1972||5||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1973||5||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1974||5||4||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1975||5||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1976||5||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1977||5||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1978||5||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1979||5||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1980||5||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1981||5||6||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1982||5||6||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1983||5||6||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1984||5||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1985||5||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1986||5||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1987||5||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1988||6||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1989||6||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1990||6||5||Partly Free||Kenneth Kaunda|
|1993||3||4||Partly Free||Frederick Chiluba|
|1994||3||4||Partly Free||Frederick Chiluba|
|1995||3||4||Partly Free||Frederick Chiluba|
|1996||5||4||Partly Free||Frederick Chiluba|
|1997||5||4||Partly Free||Frederick Chiluba|
|1998||5||4||Partly Free||Frederick Chiluba|
|1999||5||4||Partly Free||Frederick Chiluba|
|2000||5||4||Partly Free||Frederick Chiluba|
|2001||5||4||Partly Free||Frederick Chiluba|
|2002||4||4||Partly Free||Frederick Chiluba|
|2003||4||4||Partly Free||Levy Mwanawasa|
|2004||4||4||Partly Free||Levy Mwanawasa|
|2005||4||4||Partly Free||Levy Mwanawasa|
|2006||3||4||Partly Free||Levy Mwanawasa|
|2007||3||4||Partly Free||Levy Mwanawasa|
|2008||3||3||Partly Free||Levy Mwanawasa|
|2009||3||4||Partly Free||Rupiah Banda|
|2010||3||4||Partly Free||Rupiah Banda|
|2011||3||4||Partly Free||Rupiah Banda|
|2012||3||4||Partly Free||Michael Sata|
- Human trafficking in Zambia
- Internet censorship and surveillance in Zambia
- LGBT rights in Zambia
- Politics of Zambia
- "Zambia", Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2012, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, U.S. Department of State, 22 March 2013. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1 at line 3738: attempt to index field 'punct_skip' (a nil value).
- "Zambia", Freedom in the World 2013, Freedom House. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Human Rights in the Republic of Zambia, Amnesty International.
- Freedom in the World 2013 Booklet, Freedom House.