Philip Dennis Liwewe (10 January 1936 - 22 April 2014) better known as Dennis Liwewe, was a soccer commentator.
In 1973, he began working for Zambia Consolidated Copper Mines where he worked as the Director of Media and the Public Relations until he retired in 1986. Following his retirement, Dennis Liwewe became a motivational speaker to retirees and would set the tone of the speeches by delivering a keynote address that drew heavily on his love for football and for reading..
During his career, Liwewe traveled 96 times to 42 countries around the world in his 41-year illustrious career; broadcasting from different stadiums to millions of people who enjoyed his distinct voice on the airwaves.
At his peak, Liwewe who coined the nickname "KK 11" in reference to the Zambian team that died in the 1993 Gabon Crash]], became so popular that fans would troop to stadia to watch live games whilst listening to his commentaries on radio.
He was known as the "Voice of Zambian Football".
Founding Zambia president Kenneth Kaunda recognised Liwewe's influence on football in the country and awarded him the prestigious Order of Distinguished Service in 1977.
Illness and death
He died on the 22 April 2014, following a battle with liver complications. He was in and out of hospital and was even flown to South Africa for specialist treatment on his liver. He required a liver transplant but that could not be done on account of his age.
- http://www.tiozambia.com/1/post/2014/04/dennis-liwewe-a-legendary-voice-that-shaped-zambian-soccer.html May 11, 2014
- https://web.archive.org/20140424224554/http://www.postzambia.com/post-read_article.php?articleId=48056. Archived from the original on April 24, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2014. Missing or empty
- "Times of Zambia - Sports world gives Liwewe hero's send-off". Times.co.zm. Retrieved 7 November 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Kennedy Gondwe. "BBC Sport - Legendary Zambian commentator Dennis Liwewe dies". BBC Sport. Retrieved 7 November 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- BBC, Legendary Zambian commentator Dennis Liwewe dies, 22 April 2014
- "Zambia : Dennis Liwewe is dead". LusakaTimes.com. Retrieved 7 November 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>