This article needs additional information.
|Died|| December 16, 2015 (aged 69–70) |
|Cause of death||Prostate Cancer|
|Other names||Matty P|
|Known for||5FM Radio|
Mateo Phiri (born 1945, died 16 December 2015) popularly known as 'Matty P' was a veteran broadcaster and founder of 5FM Radio.
Phiri started his broadcasting career working at Zambia Broadcasting Services English Services (now Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation). He was then known as “Matinko”. He co-presented a radio show called “Schweppes Show” with Dr Manasseh Phiri. The other programmes were “Bata Spotlight" and "Pick-A-Lot”.
He later left the Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation and joined forces with fellow veteran broadcaster Frank Mutubila in 2005 to set up 5 FM, a Lusaka-based adult contemporary radio station.
Phiri died on Wednesday 16 December 2015  on his way to the Lusaka Trust Hospital  after battling with cancer. He survived by a wife and three children. He was 70.
In 2014 he won an award for being the Best Broadcaster in Zambia and was announced winner during the Press Freedom Committee of the Post Newspapers Lucy Sichone and Bright Mwape dinner awards held in Lusaka.
<templatestyles src="Reflist/styles.css" />
- ↑ Farewell to Matteo Phiri, The Post
- ↑ Matty P – Beloved Radio Personality Remembered by Ben Kangwa, 7 June 2016
- ↑ Zambians mourn death of veteran broadcaster Matteo Phiri, Mwebantu New Media, 17 December 2015
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Govt mourns Mateo Phiri, ZNBC, 17 December 2015
- ↑ Veteran Broadcaster Matty P Dies, Zambia Reports, 16 December 2015
- ↑ Veteran broadcaster Mateo Phiri has died, LusakaTimes, 16 December 2015
- ↑ 5FM CEO MATEO PHIRI, SCOOPS MEDIA AWARD, Zibani Zambia, 3 October 2014