|Dr Joseph Kasonde|
|Minister of Health|
October 2011 – 2016
|President||Michael Sata (2011–14)|
Edgar Lungu (2015–16)
|Preceded by||Kapembwa Simbao|
|Succeeded by||Chitalu Chilufya|
|Born||January 30, 1938|
|Died|| August 25, 2017 (aged 79) |
|Political party||Patriotic Front|
|Spouse(s)||Mary Chazi Kasonde|
|Alma mater||University of Aberdeen (MB ChB)|
Early life and education
He was born on 30 January 1938. He studied at the University of Aberdeen in 1966 where he graduated with a Bachelor Degree of Medicine and Surgery. He was a fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. He thereafter attained his Doctor of Medicine degree by thesis in 1976 from the University of Oxford.
Medical and political career
From 1977 to 1984 Dr Kasonde served as Director of Medical Services, combining this position with that of Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Health from 1979. From 1985 to 1998 he worked for the World Health Organization as Responsible Officer for Research Capacity Strengthening in Developing countries in the Special Programme for Research and Research Training in Human Reproduction.
Dr Kasonde died on 25 August 2017 at the University Teaching Hospital in Lusaka after a battle with liver cancer. He was survived by his wife, Mary, five daughters and several grandchildren. He was accorded a state funeral and was put to rest on 29 August 2017 at the Leopards Hill Memorial Park in Lusaka.
- "Africa Team" (PDF). WHO. Retrieved 13 February 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Joseph Mwenya Kasonde National Assembly of Zambia
- Boniface Tatchwenglie Nasah; J. K. G. Mati; Joseph M. Kasonde (1994). Contemporary Issues in Maternal Health Care in Africa. CRC Press. pp. 454–. ISBN 978-3-7186-5560-1.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- DR. JOSEPH KASONDE HAS DIED, ZNBC, 25 August 2017
- Former Health Minister Dr Kasonde has died, Lusaka Times, 26 August 2017